Sunday, May 20, 2012

Musings on teaching

Yesterday I taught a class ( albeit, a small one_ only 2 people) on needle-felting Japanese style. We began with the sushi rolls and "graduated" to the kokeshi dolls. I had allowed two hours for the class but we easily needed three hours. These ladies were flexible with their time and the facility allowed us to stay an extra hours despite the fact that the craft room is also the kitchen and folks were planning a 80th birthday celebration for an anticipated 160 folks and we were in their "space". The were very nice about us staying although I suspect they really wished we were not there.

 I love to teach and I always learn so much. Finding the "right" way to give instruction so that it makes sense for everyone. I witness people that are challenged to do a task I take for granted is easy. I can easily forget how, for the complete "beginner", that these steps are not so easy.  Inevitably there are questions I would not anticipate and for which I have to come up with sensible answers on the spot.

Now I know I will need to make some changes in my instruction when teaching this class to teens at the library in June. I want people to feel successful and have a sense of achievement with their "creation".

I took the camera but didn't get pictures... they didn't actually finish the dolls in the time alloted even with the extra hour.  In retrospect, this class is probably best suited for folks who have had some experience in needling . Needle-felting is slow... and I rarely do it while paying attention to time. I think I'll bring music next time, too....

No comments:

Post a Comment