Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Santa and the Seventeen Sisters

Santa & Me!
On "Black Friday" I ventured out with my daughters to Williamsburg to meet up with our  Yankee relatives that were down visiting for Thanksgiving. After a yummy lunch at an interesting restaurant called Food For Thought, we went to Colonial Williamsburg to wander around.

One of the first things I saw was SANTA ~ this was not just any jolly old holiday Santa... but the real deal with a beautiful cape and crown of holly on his head. We snapped a photo... it's a bit in the shadows... but I think you can see how splendid he was!
Seventeen Sisters~ Narcissus bulb
Wandering down the cobblestone streets on Williamsburg there was a stall with garden goodies.  I remember my grandmother putting narcissus bulbs to flower in a vase at Christmas time & I always like to do that too. ( plus they are my birthday month flower) There were some amazing bulbs there-like the ones in the picture above-with delicate yellow centers. I bought a few for me and got more to give as gifts to friends. As I went to pay for them the woman told me these were called the "seventeen sisters" (or Avalanche) because on each stem there are about 17 blooms!
 I am eager to seem them in bloom... I just put them in a vase today with rocks & water!

No comments:

Post a Comment